During Christmas, we give gifts to our loved ones, its symbolism is how God gave us His only son, Jesus Christ. His great LOVE was His ultimate gift to us.
So every Christmas, we do our best in order to share our love with our family, relatives, and friends. Christmas is the perfect time to conduct parties, celebrations and family reunions because most of us have long leaves or Christmas vacations.
This is the reason why Christmas is considered by many as the “happiest” holiday. Christmas songs being played in the background, getting your Christmas bonus and 13th-month pay, giving and receiving gifts, participating in “monito-monita”, going to one Christmas party after another…. no wonder Christmas Season is our favorite holiday!
Aside from merrymaking, Christmas season is also a time when we become most stressful because of budgeting for Christmas celebration, gifts, new clothes,etc. It’s also the time when we receive more pressure at work in preparation for the long vacations.
Most of us, especially those working in malls work longer hours because of Midnight and Christmas sales and promos. We are also engaged in general cleaning of our home as we prepare to welcome the end of the year.
Many of us can’t even sleep because we are bothered by several things running in our minds. Even shopping for gifts is very stressful because of the long lines, very crowded places and traffic congestion.
Because of STRESS, we become more prone to sickness because stress lowers our immune system, making us more susceptible to viruses.
It’s a major hassle to be sick during Christmas because you’re not allowed to embrace and welcome family members and relatives, you can’t enjoy the sumptuous Christmas dinner and desserts because you’re not allowed to eat most of them.
Worst of all, you always feel tired, sleepy, irritable and you feel like you’re being transformed into Scrooge or the Grinch.
Christmas, therefore should be a time to protect ourselves from sickness so we can enjoy the Christmas holiday with our family.
In line with this, I’ve created a list of tips on how we can stay strong and healthy despite the holiday stress.
Christmas season is a time of joy and celebration.
However, it’s also that time of year when nights are colder and the weather is a bit unpredictable.
Among sicknesses that can hit us this season, colds and flu are on top of that list.
We don’t have snow here in the Philippines but it does get pretty cold here so aside from the merrymaking and the gifts, our priority should be to fight colds and flu and protect ourselves and our family from getting sick.
- How do we do that?
By taking VITAMIN C of course.
- But it’s expensive!
Actually the old adage “Prevention is better than Cure” is correct. It’s much easier in the pocket to pay for vitamins rather than being stressed, worried and spending an absurd amount of money paying for hospital expenses if you or your family gets sick. And here’s another important quote for you… Health is Wealth!
- “But I’m not sick and I don’t have health problems, do I really need Vitamin C?”
Yes you do. No matter how “healthy” you think you are, viruses can still attack you and jeopardize your health and ruin your Christmas celebration.
- What kind of Vitamin C should I take?
There are two popular forms of Vitamin C’s available in the market, one is ascorbic acid and the other is sodium ascorbate. I did some research and found out that Sodium Ascorbate is the superior type of Vitamin C and is much preferred due to its non-acidic form.
In order to help you understand the major difference between the two, I have made this table.
- All natural Vitamin C; 4 times more effective because NO binders
- Prevents bacterial growth
- Can be taken as much as 2,500 mg a day
- In crystallized powder to preserve effectiveness and pureness.
- Dissolves quickly and is absorbed 5-8 times faster.
- Stays from 12 to 14 hours in the body
- Neutralizes acidity
- Non-irritant to the stomach
- Maintains pH level at 7.5 to 7.8
- Can be taken either before or after meals
- 12 to 14 hours of antioxidant protection
- Can be taken by persons with ulcer and diabetes.
- More reactive in building connective tissue
- More building of antibody structures
- More effective in killing some viruses and bacteria
- With Binders
- Promotes Bacterial Growth due to Acidity
- Body cannot tolerate more than 500mg per day
- In tablet form
- Dissolves slowly
- Stays in the body for only 3 to 4 hours
- Promotes acidity & may cause gastric ulceration
- Irritates the stomach
- Low pH at 2.5 to 3
- Body’s absorption is up to 25% only
- Cannot be taken on an empty stomach
- 3 to 4 hours of antioxidant protection only
- Not advisable for persons with ulcer and diabetes (occasionally)
- Less reactive in building connective tissue
- Less building of antibody structures
- Less effective in killing some viruses and bacteria
As you can see from the table above, Sodium Ascorbate has a lot of advantages over the Ascorbic Acid type of Vitamin C. To make it easier to understand, please refer to the summarized version below (in graphics form):
In the Philippines, when you say SODIUM ASCORBATE, only one leading brand comes to mind, and that brand is FERN-C. FERN-C utilizes pure Sodium Ascorbate which was formulated by two-time Nobel Prize winner, Dr. Linus Pauling.
Fern-C is four times more potent than ascorbic acid since as you can see in the table above, it does not contain any binders and is therefore absorbed by our body faster and it also stays in our body longer.
FERN-C is the best Sodium Ascorbate and plays a major role in boosting & keeping our immune system working to its optimum level. It also helps build collagen which is the stabilizing tissue in our bones, muscle, and skin. Our cells get damaged a lot and as an effective anti-oxidant, FERN-C’s effects stay in our body longer than its ascorbic acid counterpart to ensure that our body has the best defenses against free radical which damages our cells.
FERN-C promotes the production of white blood cells in our body to help us become immune against diseases and infection. Because of this, FERN-C is the most potent antioxidant and immune system booster. Other vitamins and minerals cannot work without Vitamin C, but Vitamin C is independent and can work in our body on its own. Since we cannot produce our own Vitamin C, taking FERN-C daily is a MUST to keep other vitamins and minerals continue working properly in our body.
If you are wondering why a lot of people prefer FERN-C to other types of Sodium Ascorbate Vitamin C, that’s because FERN-C is already tested and proven safe and effective because FERN-C is manufactured high and above the normal industry standards. #FernCSubokNa
You stand the best chance of BOOSTING YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM from colds and flu by taking Sodium Ascorbate FERN-C! However, we are not 100% immune to colds and flu so if you are taking Sodium Ascorbate FERN-C, you’ll notice how easily you recover from colds and flu because Sodium Ascorbate clinically broadens the spectrum of activity against resistant bacteria.
FERN-C is FDA/BFAD approved and is HALAL, which is a great news to our Muslim brothers.
Also, FERN-C’s products carry DSM’s “Quali-C” and “Quali Blends” trademarks, which guarantee peace of mind for consumers. Being the biggest source of nutritional products next to nature, DSM assures of premium world-class QUALITY in FERN and i-fern products. DSM maintains Good Manufacturing Principles (GMP) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) to ensure a safe, controlled environment. FERN-C was also awarded as a “Superbrand” from 2008 up to the present. This is why FERN-C’s slogan is SUBOK NA (certified/tested and proven) because that’s what they are. FERN-C is the most trusted Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate) because they maintain the highest quality possible to ensure that consumers are safe and get the results we want.
OTHER BENEFITS OF TAKING FERN-C EVERDAY ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Strengthens immune system.
- Protects against flu, cough, bronchitis, respiratory problems as well as viral and bacterial infections.
- Safeguards the heart entire cardiovascular system from bad cholesterol deposition.
- Gets rid of the accumulated toxins like heavy metals, pesticides other pollutants found in air, food, and water in the body.
- Acts as a natural anesthetic and anti-inflammatory.
- Inhibits tartar formation by preventing periodical damage to gums & sockets.
- Helps ease mental stress; protects against stress-related disorders.
- Helps in ending constipation shrink hemorrhoids.
- Strengthens the capillaries other blood vessels.
- The antihistamine actions of Fern-C can enable people to tolerate foods they otherwise could not eat.
- Maintains your adrenal cortex and ovaries.
- Reduces insulin requirement of diabetics.
- Has shown a remarkable capacity to help knit bone wage battle against such supposedly hopeless bone disorder.
- Aids the white blood cells in its ability to fight viruses (stimulate Phagocytic activity).
- Enhances sexual performance by abetting the healthy functioning of the Endocrine glands.
- Bleeding gums
- Bone abnormalities
- Heart Disease
- Cough & Colds
- Easy bruising
- Effects of Air Pollution
- Effects of Radiation
- Loose teeth
- Mental Illness
- Nose bleeds
- Poor digestion
- Rough skin
- Periodontal diseases
- Enhances Sexual Function
With the Christmas rush and everybody’s busy wrapping presents, it’s easy for us to neglect our overall health and forget about exercising.
In order to increase our immunity to fight diseases, we must be able to keep our body fit.
At times, you find yourself saying, “I don’t have the time to exercise”.
But I’m telling you, YES, you do!
If you have the time to watch your telenovelas or do your selfies and social media updates, then you do have time for exercise.
How do you do it with your hectic schedule, especially if you don’t even have the time nor the budget for gyms?
Since most of us are quite busy and there is a lot of traffic going on during holiday season making it difficult for us to go to good places to go jogging or engage in fun runs, then exercise using your own resources! There is no need for meticulous exercise routines, you can stay fit with activities that you can do at home or within your neighborhood.
Here are some suggestions on how you can exercise and stay fit even without going to the gym:
- Learn mat exercises which you can do at home.
- Try brisk walking or just walking around the neighborhood.
- Walk your dog, he/she needs the exercise too.
- Buy a jumping rope and dumbbells so you can tone your arms and leg muscles even while at home.
- Do general cleaning to start your 2016 with a very clean and fresh looking home.
- Taking company/mall stairs instead of escalators and elevators.
Actually, exercise is not enough to ensure that you’re fit enough to boost your immunity this holiday. Most people couple exercise with Vitamin C and not just any Vitamin C of course.
Make sure you bought FERN-C. Scientists at the University of Helsinki conducted a meta-analysis and found out that vitamin C has a positive impact that prevented exercise-induced bronchoconstriction.
They found that vitamin C that is taken after and extreme exercise was able to lower the severity, length and likelihood of exercise-induced bronchoconstriction by 50%. Their work was published in the journal of Allergy, Asthma & Clinical Immunology.
Therefore, if you are having trouble breathing after exercising, running or any physical activity, FERN-C can help problems with breathing. Stress is a part of life, and it spikes up during the holiday season. Our body responds to acute stress by producing hormones that induce a fight or flight response, and can respond to chronic stress by producing a defeat response.
The defeat response can lead to the creation of fat and the storage of that fat deep within the abdomen, as well as a suppressed immune system and breakdown of lean muscle tissue. This is why stressed people are prone to becoming plump.
Fats are not properly broken down and we don’t want this happening this Christmas since Filipino Christmas isn’t complete without an array of delicious food we don’t normally see during “normal” days.
One way to ensure that we are kept healthy, aside from exercising is to take our FERN-C. Combining this with exercise ensures that we burn unwanted fat off and we’re healthy during and after this holiday season.
When I say rest, I don’t just mean “sleep”. RESTING includes taking a breather from your very hectic holiday schedule to relax and unwind. Resting also includes just breathing in and breathing out and keeping your mental balance while working.
Make sure you shop early, avoid rush hours, divide your time so you have plenty of rest in between shopping sprees. Although drinking sessions and parties are rampant this holiday season, know your limits and make sure you are always properly rested.
Christmas season is a very busy period for all of us, after working, we need to brave the crowd during holidays, even public transportations such as MRT and lining up at bus and fx stations can really heighten the effects of stress on us. This would impair our body’s immune system from fighting off bacteria and viruses.
A well-rested body is one of our better defenses against lowering of our immune system.
Did you know that Vitamin C also has an impact on your SLEEP?
Impact of Low Vitamin C
Researchers from the University of Pennsylvania reviewed data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (May 2013) Their study revealed that people who consumed smaller amounts of vitamin C slept for only 5-6 hours per night. In August 2014, they revealed that people with low blood levels of vitamin C had more problems with sleep disturbances and insomnia. These sleep disturbances, in turn, develops into the limited ability of a person to retain long term and short memories.
As per their study, Vitamin C prevented sleep deprivation, memory loss, and impairment, as well as maintained normal levels of antioxidants in the brain. Restless legs which involve people waking up because their legs feel uncomfortable has a high ratio for those with low Vitamin C. While those who took Vitamin C constantly revealed there was a vast improvement in their restless leg syndrome and symptoms.
That’s why we really need to load up on our FERN-C this holiday season because it helps us REST, which in turn, helps improve our immunity from cold and flu viruses.
However, in order to maintain your body’s immunity to sickness, you need to keep your NUTRITION in check.
Here are some ways you can ensure that your nutrition is taken into account without sacrificing the one we love most—- EATING! 🙂
- Do some pre-holiday planning. Plan healthy meals for you and your family. If there are going to be heavy Christmas meals, schedule your exercise time to ensure you shed off the extra fat to and to help maintain your body’s immune system up and running smoothly.
- Eat a snack before going to a party. Nibble on crackers or eat a fruit or two prior to going to Christmas parties. Ensure that you STOP eating during the Christmas party when you don’t feel hungry anymore.
- Indulge but moderately. No need to skip on your favorite food. Just get smaller portions to satisfy your cravings.
- Avoid guilty pleasures that you can have anytime. If you see food that is not seasonal, skip it.
- Stay far away from the buffet table. Talk to friends and family, participate in games to take your mind off food.
- At a cocktail party, hold your drink in your prominent hand. If you are right-handed, hold it using your right hand, and vice versa. Why? It helps keep your hand busy so you won’t be reaching out for food that much.
- Eat slowly and chew it well. If you do this, your body gets nutrition more because food gets digested easily and properly.
- Be the designated driver. Choose ONE (1) alcoholic drink and only drink one glass/shot of it then for the rest of night, drink water or juice. Being the designated driver ensures you are responsible enough not to get drunk and you also stay away from drinking too much of alcoholic drinks.
- Plan tempting, yet healthy, substitutions – grilled shrimp versus deep fried; fresh vegetables with low-fat dips rather than nachos; salsa instead of a creamy dip; lettuce wraps versus egg rolls; chicken satay, not wings; ginger snaps instead of shortbread; sushi, not sausage rolls.
- After the party, give the leftovers to friends and family. Limit the food available.
- Use smaller plates. You’d be able to control your urge to eat because you’re tricking your brain into thinking you’ve got a huge portion of food.
- Healthy options. If you are organizing a Christmas party, ensure that there are healthy options available.
- Allergies. If you have certain allergies or under diet restrictions, inform you relative, friend or party organizer. If it cannot be helped, bring some treats that you can eat and share with them.
- ENSURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH INTAKE OF VITAMIN C. This is probably the most important of all because Vitamin C ensures that your body is immune from sickness. Ensure that you are buying only the best and most trusted brand of Vitamin C which is FERN-C.
To ensure that your body has enough VITAMIN C, I’ve researched and found that these are the TOP 10 foods with the highest amount of Vitamin C. This holiday season, ensure that these food are part of your holiday food and ingredients.
TOP 10 FOODS RICH IN VITAMIN C
Here are the TOP 10 foods with Vitamin C. Do take note that the amount of Vitamin C per food is computed based on a per cup basis. The foods are chopped or diced and NOT juiced.
Note however that when we eat these foods, Vitamin C does not stay in our body for a very long time. Vices such as smoking and drinking even lower our Vitamin C absorption as well as the time Vitamin C is stored in our body.
Although we can eat these foods to help our Vitamin C intake and absorption, it is also highly recommended that we take in Vitamin C Capsules which we can take on schedule to ensure that we always have enough Vitamin C in our body to boost our immunity against colds, flu, and other sicknesses that are rampant this holiday season.
- #1: RED BELL PEPPER – 190 mg
- #2: KIWI – 137.2 mg
- #3: BROCCOLI – 132 mg
- #4: CAULIFLOWER – 127.7 mg
- #5: MANGO – 122.3 mg
- #6: GREEN BELL PEPPER – 120 mg
- #7: PAPAYA – 88.3 mg
- #8: STRAWBERRY – 84.7 mg
- #9: PINEAPPLE – 78.9 mg
- #10: ORANGE – 69.7 mg
Beat the holiday stress with FERN-C, your daily dose of added immunity. Trust only FERN-C because it is already tested and proven! #FernCSubokNa
Wearing a hanging blouse or a super thin body hugging material may put you in the spotlight during pre-Christmas celebrations and company Christmas parties but did you know that you’re also exposing yourself to illness and lowering your immunity to diseases?
Shivering depresses the immune system and this makes us more likely to catch colds. Also, lower levels of sunlight and altered levels of hormones such as melatonin and serotonin negatively affect how the immune system performs.
So, skip the skirt or shorts you’ve been planning to wear and dress in accordance to the weather.
Sometimes, though it’s hot in the morning and afternoon, nights can get crazy cold so be prepared to cover up and keep cozy.
We lose up to 30per cent of our body heat through our heads – so if you’re going out and it’s really cold, wear a hat or a cap.
In the office, ensure you leave at least a good and clean corporate jacket you can wear even during meetings so that you’ll look presentable but at the same time, you are very comfortable.
When using public transportation like MRT or LRT trains, it’s better to use a face mask to ensure that those with colds sneezing in crowded places won’t have a huge effect on your immune system. Prevention is definitely better cure, remember? Yes, you’d look weird and paranoid but better that than having a cold during Christmas season right?
The following are additional ways and techniques on how to prevent lowering your immune system and getting unwanted viruses and bacteria.
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and warm water.
- Clean surfaces such as your table or keyboard, and don’t forget to clean the telephone regularly because this is usually the culprit in spreading germs, viruses, and bacteria.
- Cover your mouth when coughing, sneezing or even when you’re just yawning.
- Dispose of used tissues that you used to cover your mouth or wiped your nose with.
- In public transport, try your best to distance from people who you think have colds.
- As much as possible, don’t touch your face or rub your eyes WITHOUT washing your hands first.
- Use antiviral gels and alcohol to kill viruses you may have picked up.
- Change all of your clothes once you come home from work before hugging or kissing your loved ones.
So there you have it, 5 simple to follow tips that you can do to help boost your immunity during the holiday season.
For more information about FERN-C, please visit their website and social media accounts thru the links below.
This blog post is intended as an entry to the Blog contest sponsored by Nuffnang Philippines and Fern-C. The ideas and data here are from researched reports online. The blogger is by no means an expert in the medical field so please consult your physicians and internal med doctors regarding the tips mentioned in this blog post. The blogger will not be liable for second-hand facts stated here as you are expected to double check entries here to ensure your optimum level of Vitamin C intake.