Authored by Majority Leader and Ilocos Norte Rep. Rodolfo C. Fariñas, House Bill 5241 was based on the declaration of Pope Clement XI in 1708 for Catholics that December 8 should be treated as a holy day in honor of the purity and holiness of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Feast of the Immaculate Conception).
However, the said House Bill has yet to be approved by Senate and signed by President Rodrigo Duterte for it to be official.
Therefore the proclamation that December 8, 2017 is a non-working holiday is NOT YET implemented for offices and schools/universities.
There are some universities/colleges who declared that there are no classes on DECEMBER 8 because of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, and there were some cities and municipalities who declared DECEMBER 8 as a holiday because of their founding/cityhood anniversary. By the way, I got this list from Rappler with links to the actual announcements:
- Colegio de San Juan de Letran – classes and office work, Feast of the Immaculate Conception
- University of Santo Tomas – classes and office work, Feast of the Immaculate Conception
- Holy Cross of Davao College – Feast of the Immaculate Conception
FOR CITIES AND MUNICIPALITIES:
- Agoo, La Union – special non-working day, 439th founding anniversary of the municipality
- Angeles City – special non-working day, 188th founding anniversary of the city
- Antipolo City – special non-working day, 426th founding anniversary of the city
- Taguig City – special non-working day, cityhood anniversary
I blogged it in case a confused soul like myself is searching for it on the internet. Since there are some sites that are misleading their readers, please share this also so your family, relatives, and friends are aware.